[FFmpeg-user] Rotating an mp4 video on Windows

Peter White peter.white at posteo.net
Mon Aug 8 14:43:06 EEST 2016

Kieran O Leary wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Peter White <peter.white at posteo.net> wrote:
>
>> $ ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy -metadata:s:v rotate=270 target.mp4
>>
>> But this obviously needs to be respected by the playback application, so
>> YMMV. VLC does work with this.
>>
> WMP 12 does not.

What a huge surprise! ;) Of course, WMP won't respect this. It only
tolerates mp4 and other formats with the least amount of effort, so
users don't go running away in masses:
"Full compatibility? No way, NIH! Go talk to the vendor of MP4 to
complain, they did it wrong. <insert arbitrary 'error' message here>.
Why not try our own proprietary Kool-Aid?" :P

If I am forced to use Windows, WMP is the first to go, being the spying
FUD'ing crap it is.

But that's enough ranting for the day. :)

Best,
Peter