[FFmpeg-user] HLS to FTP

Yaniv Sharon yaniv.sharon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 16:51:48 EEST 2016

Hi Moritz,

Thank you for your attention.

The problem was not the "#EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE:299" [that’s how it should be].
The issue was more the adjustment in front of the FTP/WEB server.

For who wants to do it with FTP here is my HLS workaround for now [48k audio/aac],
Each FTP server needs his adjusments...

-hls_time 30  =  to give the server little bit time between each uploaded segment.
-hls_list_size 4
-start_number 1 = seems to be more robust...
-hls_wrap 20 = instead "delete segments" flag, because it seems that he don’t know how to delete from FTP.
-hls_allow_cache 0
-segment_list_flags +live

For server MIME:
application/vnd.apple.mpegurl     .m3u8
video/mp2t            .ts

Gzip = only for m3u8, not for TS

TTL for m3u8 = shortest as possible.

Things that can help:
1. if the "delete segments" flag will work also with ftp.
2. if ffmpeg will not reconnect/disconnect after each segment that uploaded, and just keep the connection open.

Problems:
In some of the time there is a little audio drop between the segments in mobile playing.
I don’t know yet where is the problem but I will explore.

I know that FFmpeg developers not love the FTP method, but I think that is really cool. What about more support from ffmpeg? :-)

Question:
When the player meets the m3u8 at the first time, he downloading all the segments
that on the list at once.  After that, during the playing, I see that he downloading the updated m3u8  &  ONE  .ts segment [chrome/inspect]
Each time...there is a way to release the player more segments for each m3u8 update ?

Thanx,

Yaniv Sharon.