[FFmpeg-user] What is Segmentation fault: 11 ?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Aug 23 22:11:22 EEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 20:49:20 +0200, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > What option is most likely to cause this?
>
> This is what I would like you to tell us so we can find out if there is a
> bug that can be fixed within FFmpeg.

And in order to find out, I suggest the following approach:

You built your ffmpeg yourself, you said, right? If you still have the
build directory (or build the same sources again with the identical
options), you have a binary ffmpeg_g in that directory after your build
finished.

Go into the build directory, and launch your ffmpeg command as:

$ gdb --args ./ffmpeg_g -i foo.mp4

Once you get to the gdb prompt, type "r" (or "run") and press return.
This will run your ffmpeg command within gdb. Hopefully, you get the
same segmentation fault, but gdb catches it. At that point (after gdb
says "Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault."), you type
"thread apply all bt full".

Then post the full output (from the launch of gdb to the end of your
output) here please.

Moritz