[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe frame rate / time base

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 09:04:23 EEST 2016

>> > Am 18.08.2016 um 11:06 schrieb Erik Dobberkau <erik.dobberkau at gmail.com
>> > It seems for H.264 encoded *interlaced* video the frame rate displayed by
>> > ffprobe -show_streams -i [inputfile]
>> > is still twice the actual frame rate
>>
>> I don't think this is generally correct but please feel free to provide a
>> sample.
>
> please find a test sample at
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzb31bw9iymgg8e/H264_1080i.mp4

I believe there is an issue, I opened ticket #5794.

There are at least two reasons why your above assumption is not
generally correct: There are two ways to do interlaced encoding for
h264 (paff and mbaff), the - quality-wise - best h264 encoder only
supports mbaff and the issue you see is most likely paff-related.
I usually see paff-encoded material in mpegts (how did you record
the sample?) and for mpegts, the correct 25fps are shown.

Thank you for the sample, Carl Eugen