[FFmpeg-user] Video Standards for the Net

Mettavihari D tv.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 04:46:47 EEST 2016

Greetings,

Thank you for your notes.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 9:01 AM, Reuben Martin <reuben.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, August 29, 2016 5:40:41 AM CDT Mettavihari D wrote:
> > We have recently installed clipbucket as a video site
> > I find that the compression they use is as below.
> > My question is whether those standards are good or they should be
> increased
> > in quality.
>
> “Good” is context specific. You can get speed, quality, and low-bitrate,
> but
> you only get two... which two depends on your use case.

My problem is if I go by these standards now then they may be too low for
the market in 2 years and I would have to re-encode 30.000 files by then.

> Not sure why they re-interleave the files. Perhaps it’s a means to also
> make
> the file “web optimized”, but they could do that directly with ffmpeg.

I would appreciate a hint on how to achieve that with ffmpeg.

> Taking the vertical scan resolution and appending 3 zeros to use as the
> bitrate is kinda lame and doesn’t well reflect the rate the bitrate
> generally
> changes as the frame size increases with the x264 encoder.

Your recommendations are very much appreciated.

> Also, the resolution “480” (at least in the context of broadcasting)
> generally
> implies an animorphic resolution, which is not what is happening in this
> instance. But that’s being nitpicky.

I appreciate a good advice and a ling to possible standards in the world.

with best regards
Mettavihari