[FFmpeg-user] Why is length and bitrate zero?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Dec 20 01:49:37 EET 2016

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 23:21:56 +1300, Michael Heuberger wrote:
> $ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc=d=10 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vcodec libvpx out1.mkv
> resulted into a video whose length is 00:00:10 but with a bitrate of 0
> kbps (says my SMPlayer)

But says neither ffprobe nor mediainfo. IIRC, the overall bitrate is encoded
in the MKV header, but there's no per-stream info available. Perhaps
*that*'s smplayer's issue. Are you sure that smplayer reports anything
*else* than 0 for any MKV file at all? I just tried a few random ones,
and they all report 0.

Moritz