[FFmpeg-user] top posting issue

Roman romeo.r at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 11:59:49 CET 2016

Hi,

Thanks for an answer.

I see, but still not share such approach while sending/receiving e-mails.

It was not very comfortable for me to follow your e-mail with such quotes
etc. I'd prefer to read it just as one whole e-mail separated with empty
new lines for every of my question with references to them if needed (like:
you've asked about this thing and my opinion is this. Later on your text
you've asked about that thing, which seems really confusing and blablabla).

When you read reviews (academical, amateur, professional), there are no
quotes and below-postings. Review author just mentions what exactly hes
referring to and continues his review. And same goes to review on review.
Please see academical reviews as an example. Yes, I've wrote 2 diplomas and
lots of reviews, so I really know, what I'm saying :).

If an academical approach is wrong for top-posting haters, then I have
nothing to say. Will have to get used to every mailing list approach (still
there are many lists, where people do write with top posting, as it is
human-like approach of socializing using e-mails.

As for the comfort of people who answer, they could simply press the "Reply
(all)" button not on the latest e-mail in the chain, but in-front of
message they are answering to. This will make their lives much more easier,
I guess.

Still, I accept the way you answered me, but on the forums only.

PS
I somehow think, that programs that are being used by hundred millions of
people can't be wrong. It is just up to that minority, who likes for some
reason a little bit perverted way of reading (for me and well, other
hundred millions of people), who try to look like they are different. Sorry.

> Le sextidi 16 pluviôse, an CCXXIV, Roman a écrit :
> > I've seen many times people asking/forcing not to top-post to the list...
> > So here I've got a question.. Why ?
>
> I will answer to you with a question: when you watch an episode of a TV
> series, does it:
>
> A. start with short excerpts of the previous episodes, to remind you what
>    happened last weeks;
>
> B. end with a full rerun of the previous episode (which itself ends in a
>    full rerun of the previous one, recursively)?
>
> You have to realize that while people who ask questions usually read only a
> few of the mail on the mailing-lists and follow only the thread about their
> own issue, people who answer the question, on the other hand, follow
> several
> threads on this mailing list and others. They need to have a reminder of
> what this is about, before they start reading the new stuff.
>
> >                                     Most of programs, including gmail app
> > and gmail web come with top posting by default and this is the way all
>
> These programs are the result of a negative feedback loop: first,
> uneducated
> users started replying on top of the quote without thinking, then programs
> for these uneducated users started having features to make that easier to
> handle.
>
> >                               Why the hell one should scroll down to see
> > the last post if it is very ok to see the last post on the top of incming
> > e-mail.
>
> You do not have to do that. The best way of replying to a mail is not to
> reply on the bottom of the full quote either. The correct way is to trim
> the
> quote so that it has just enough context. Just like I did in this very
> mail.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
>   Nicolas George