[FFmpeg-user] libfaac not found error

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Feb 4 15:09:00 CET 2016

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 18:54:56 -0700, Jim Worrall wrote:
> According to https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/AAC, you’re better
> off with libfdk_aac anyway.

And what that page apparently doesn't say yet is that - on git master -
ffmpeg's native AAC encoder has surpassed libfdk_aac's quality. It is
therefore also no longer experimental (i.e. enabled by "-strict
experimental"). (I haven't tried it very much  myself, but I totally
trust the developers on this.)

So, a hint to the users: Using git master or starting from ffmpeg 2.9,
you do not even need to provide any external AAC library.

(I realize libfdk_aac can also be used as a decoder, and may have
features other codecs don't provide.)

Moritz