[FFmpeg-user] Any way to get better use of the cpu?

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 16:59:37 CET 2016

On 1/30/16, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ffmpeg -i input.ts -map 0:p:1344 1344.mp4 -map 0:p:1345
>> 1345.mp4 -map 0:p:1346 1346.mp4
>
> Which encoder are you using?

libx264

> You do know that this is not x264-feature-requests, don't you?

Yes.

>> Is there any tricks to get more cpu "utilization" here
>
> The tricks lead to slower conversion time.

I'm referring more to the fact that if I output to two outputs, from
the same ffmpeg instance, in essence, this:

ffmpeg -i input output1 output2

takes twice as long as running these two in parallel:

ffmpeg -i input output1
ffmpeg -i input output2

It appears to me that the encoders are working in serial (at least in
this instance, which is libx264 -preset ultrafast).   In the first
example it uses around 250% cpu, in the second, it uses around 500%
cpu.
Would be nice to be able to have the first use 500% cpu, if that makes sense.
I assume it's just a feature request.
Cheers!