[FFmpeg-user] Real-time HAP encoded streaming

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Jan 4 17:59:59 CET 2016

Kenneth Fields <ken.fields <at> gmail.com> writes:

> A normal, H.264 codec is unusable for p2p
> conferencing/performing as it takes seconds to
> encode.

(Depending on the definition of "normal":)
This is definitely wrong, at least x264 has options
for encoding with a deadline and is used for
conferencing (but this is not the right mailing
list to discuss this).

I suspect that two reasons will make conferencing
with HAP difficult: Large size of encoded frames
and no specification for transmission.

> We want to use the GPU for HAP encoding.

Are you planning to implement this?
It will probably much easier to find out about
the encoding options for x264.

Carl Eugen