[FFmpeg-user] flame about confusing command line options.

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Jan 5 15:11:08 CET 2016

Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ffmpeg -i input -f rawvideo -f nut output.nut
>
> Using (or being able to use)  "-f"
> typically using two "-f" s would be an override.
> But in this case it isn't.  In fact, its using
> "-f" to specify two entirely different aspects of
> the output file.

I have no idea what this email is about (and it would
be super-nice if you would not continue this thread)
but please understand that in your command line the
second -f is overriding the first -f option, so
instead of being rawvideo, the output has format nut.
(Which it would also have if you had not specified
any "-f" option as the extension "nut" defaults to
the format "nut".)

Note that the input option "-r" is mostly a debug
option with limited use and often does not work
and that I consider it extremely useful that many
input options (like -f) have the same name as the
matching output options.

Finally, I don't think there is anything wrong with
having codecs with the same name as formats, this
includes "opus", "mp3" and "rawvideo" (and many
others).

Carl Eugen