[FFmpeg-user] Question on enable decklink in ffmpeg

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Jan 6 10:15:34 CET 2016

On Tue, Jan 05, 2016 at 15:23:12 -0600, Ricardo Pena wrote:
>   I keep getting the error:
> " Unknown input format: 'decklink' "
> when typing in the command :
> " ffmpeg -f decklink -list_devices 1 -i dummy "

Please show us the complete, uncut console output of that command. The
output contains information which is useful and not just there for the fun
of it.

> Setup:
> - Blackmagic Decklink (working in Ubuntu 64 bit 14.04 with MediaExpress
> from Blackmagic)
> - FFMPEG (compiled 2.4.11)
> - Blackmagic SDK (10.5.2)

Why ffmpeg 2.4.11? That should have decklink support, but it has
improved (extremely?) in recent versions. And I see no reason
whatsoever for choosing an old ffmpeg tree when compiling your own
version!

> ENV FFMPEG_VERSION 2.4.11
> # monitor releases at https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/releases

Well, somebody is apparently not actually monitoring. 2.8.4 is latest,
and you might as well take HEAD of git master when compiling yourself.

> ENV BLACKMAGIC_SDK_VERSION 10.5.1

There's a newer version of that available as well.

Moritz