[FFmpeg-user] Ingest of SMPTE-377M

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Jan 7 15:08:44 CET 2016

Mark Nelson <markn <at> ieee.org> writes:

> I still need to understand how you are able to play
> SPDIF encoded audio using the ALSA drivers. What
> exactly is your amplifier?

It is a Kenwood V7300D but that doesn't matter:
Any Dolby-compatible decoder connected via HDMI is
expected to work fine.
I didn't know that there is another usage for the
SPDIF format...

> And if that doesn't match up with the data types
> in IEC 61937-2, it means AES3 and SPDIF are not
> quite compatible.

That is really cool given that they use the same
(32bit!) header.

I start to understand that SMPTE is everything but
a standardization organisation, see VC-5 (which is
a standard without specification iiuc).

Can you provide a mov file containing such audio?
Did you test if an AC-3 spdif file produced with
FFmpeg works in your toolchain? It should be easy
to also allow this for eac3.

Carl Eugen