[FFmpeg-user] gracefully restart an ffmpeg stream?

chovy chovy at protonmail.com
Sun Jan 10 21:54:25 CET 2016

On 01/10/2016 01:07 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 10.01.2016 um 21:05 schrieb jd1008:

>>> that's nothing you can solve on the server side
>>> the client needs to graceful hand short interruptions
>> Seems like if the server kills the video streamer, then the client's
>> connection is broken. So when server restarts the streamer, then
>> the client should still be able to re-connect to server and start
>> playing the stream. No?
>
> surely, that connection is broken
> yes, the *client* should be able to reconnect
>
> if the client don't re-connect just blame the client
> you can't solve that on the server side
>
> exactly what i said
Since the client is not able to reconnect, it seems that it may be possible
that the very server PROCESS which invokes ffmpeg to start the stream
needs to be restarted, not just ffmpeg - I am assuming the main server
daemon is NOT ffmpeg.

I'm using nginx to server the .ts and index.m3u8 files...I don't see why a restart of nginx would be required.