[FFmpeg-user] Regarding FFMPEG Library installation on RHEL 5 machins

Kachhawal, Vijay P vijay_kachhawal at optum.com
Tue Jan 12 18:18:22 CET 2016

Hello FFMPEG Team,

We tried installing ffmpeg library as per the steps mentioned on link http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/multimedia/ffmpeg.html . But when we are giving the below command, we are getting the errors as highlighted below.

$ sed -i 's/-lflite"/-lflite -lasound"/' configure &&

> ./configure --prefix=/home       \
>             --enable-gpl         \
>             --enable-version3    \
>             --enable-nonfree     \
>             --disable-static     \
>             --enable-shared      \
>             --disable-debug      \
>             --enable-libass      \
>             --enable-libfdk-aac  \
>             --enable-libfreetype \
  >             --enable-libmp3lame  \
>             --enable-libopus     \
>             --enable-libtheora   \
>             --enable-libvorbis   \
>             --enable-libvpx      \
>             --enable-libx264     \
>             --enable-libx265     \
>             --enable-x11grab     \
>             --docdir=/home/vkachha/ffmpeg-2.8.4/ffmpeg-2.8.4 &&
>
> sudo make &&
>
> sudo gcc tools/qt-faststart.c -o tools/qt-faststart
gcc is unable to create an executable file.
If gcc is a cross-compiler, use the --enable-cross-compile option.
Only do this if you know what cross compiling means.
C compiler test failed.

If you think configure made a mistake, make sure you are using the latest
version from Git.  If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org mailing list or IRC #ffmpeg on irc.freenode.net.
Include the log file "config.log" produced by configure as this will help
solve the problem.

We tried giving this command with and without sudo and still see the same error. So please update, if we are doing wrong somewhere or missing some steps.

Also, it will be very helpful if you can suggest some easy way to install this library.

Thanks,
Vijay