[FFmpeg-user] Splitting a video in chunks with the same size

Celso Coutinho 20.celso at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:39:38 CEST 2016

Dear all,

I want to be able to split a file in chunks with the same (previously
defined) size (except the last chunk, of course). I have been trying
several commands but without much success.

When I look into the documentation, I understand the *-fs* flag allows me
to define the maximum size of the chunk I am obtaining in each time I run
*ffmpeg,* but I don't know how to define the starting point of the chunk. I
tried *-ss*, but it seems that I can only use it with time, rather than
file size. Can someone enlighten me on this matter?

Moreover, I have been trying to use the following command:

*ffmpeg **-i raper.3gp -fs 102400 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -movflags
faststart output1.avi*

But the output video has no sound, plus the duration is always incorrect
(video has 4 to 5 seconds, and the duration shown in the video is like one
minute). Which codecs should I choose?

Thanks in advance!

Celso