[FFmpeg-user] Get fatal error informations

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Mar 14 15:22:16 CET 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 14:00:58 +0000, Thibault wrote:
> This is exactly what i need. Thank you.

You're welcome. :-)

> Btw, you're saying that my ffmpeg version is old, but I've done a yum
> install ffmpeg from my CENTOS 6.5. Is there any reason why I don't
> get the latest version?

I'm not sure from which repository your ffmpeg is coming (RPMFusion?),
but basically, it's because they don't provide a newer version. The
background would be that OSs like CentOS have long term support, and
therefore rely on APIs and SW not changing. So once they have provided
e.g. ffmpeg 1.0.X, they continue to do so (bumping the X). I could thin
of different ways they could still provide the newest ffmpeg at the
same time ... but they just don't.

Perhaps the negativo17 HandBrake repos provide a newer version (just
speculating). Otherwise, it is wisest to build your own:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Centos
(It's not totally difficult, but it helps if you have a bit of Linux
experience. We're here to help. :-))

Cheers,
Moritz