[FFmpeg-user] Synchronize videos

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Mar 14 21:54:33 CET 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 18:23:45 +0100, Thomas Seilund wrote:
> My question is how can I make sure that the videos are synced correctly.
> I am not able to start capturing at the same time, so I can not be sure
> that the videos from each camera cover exactly the same period.

If the clocks on the various devices are synchronized with NTP, and you
are capturing with video4linux2, you can ensure that the timestamps are
taken from the devices' wallclocks.

I'm not absolutely sure how to get ffmpeg to always take the images
with the same/similar timestamp when overlaying the videos next to each
other. Perhaps you just need to check the timestamps, and then apply an
offset those videos which didn't start last with "-ss <offset>".

I haven't thought this all the way through. It's be easier if I could
actually try it. You'll have to wait for someone else to pitch in.

Moritz