[FFmpeg-user] -s[:stream_specifier] size (input/output, per-stream)

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Mar 25 02:37:26 CET 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 17:50:40 -0600, jd1008 wrote:

> Reason I am transcoding into mpeg1 is because the apps that create the
> DVD format for playback on regular DVD's
> take them way freaking too long to do the transcoding to mpeg1 (and that
> is what they do to every video I try to
> convert to DVD using the dvd creation apps.
> ffmpeg seems to do it a lot faster.
> So, when is ue these apps and the input video is already in mpeg1
> format, they just proceed to create the
> DVD format without transcoding.

I understand, I used to use similar programs, and appreciated that they
took my ffmpeg created input without reencoding.

But: mpeg2video is a much more effective codec for DVD. ffmpeg even has
a shortcut-option "-target dvd" (or "-target pal-dvd", "-target
ntsc-dvd") which sets several encoding options for DVD compatibility.

Moritz