[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG run out of memory

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon May 9 15:37:33 CEST 2016

ionut <ionut.raducanu <at> webland.ro> writes:

> Usually I get from cpu a constant 300-400% (4core) but now
> is more in 100-150% and sometimes over 300%, and the memory
> usage is over 95% constant. What is wrong ?

So does FFmpeg run out-of-memory or are you just reporting
that it allocates a lot of memory?

Very generally: Are you reporting a leak (valgrind output
needed) or oom?

And are you reporting that what you tried worked fine with
older versions of FFmpeg but fails with a newer one?

> ffmpeg version N-78733-g0f31d40-syslint Copyright (c)
> 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers

In a case like yours, testing current FFmpeg is absolutely
necessary.

>    built with gcc 4.4.7 (GCC) 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-16)
>    configuration: --prefix=/usr/local/cpffmpeg --enable-shared
> --enable-nonfree --enable-gpl --enable-pthreads
> --enable-libopencore-amrnb

> --enable-decoder=liba52

Note that this option has no effect (does not exist)
since about a decade.

I wonder if the filter system tries to read input as fast as
possible, no matter how slow or fast the later filters in
the chain work...

Carl Eugen