[FFmpeg-user] Catch-all container for audio.

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri May 13 11:42:57 CEST 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 22:12:18 -0400, Brandon McGinty-Carroll wrote:
> e.g. ffmpeg -i http://www.site.com/file.{wma,mkv,flv} -vn -acodec copy out.nut

I would probably add "-dn -sn" to go sure (v, a, d, s being the only
four classes of streams, AFAIU), I don't know what ffmpeg does with
unknown data streams for example. And add "-map 0" if you want *all*
audio streams to be copied, otherwise ffmpeg chooses only the first
one.

> I know nut is just being maintained at this point, so would moving to
> Matroska (which I believe has an .mkv extension) be wise?

Is or is not being maintained? (You sentence is a bit unclear.)

I have the same understanding of nut as a "quite catch-all" container,
but you may have to look at its specs to understand what it *can't*
handle. With regards to MKV, I am certain that certain streams can't be
muxed. The muxer has gained automatic bitstream filtering recently,
which resolves a lot of things, but I recall it refuses certain AAC
streams. (Let me see if I can reproduce that.)

Moritz