[FFmpeg-user] Installing on Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 02:57:04 EET 2016

> I'm stuck with some older machines that we can't upgrade because of
> software we have on them.  Is it possible to install FFMPEG on OSX
> 10.6.8?
>
> I've tried brew

brew is supported somewhere else.

I would expect that FFmpeg works out-of-the-box on 10.6.8 (I
sometmes test on 10.5) but we only support our configure
script and you did not report any issues with it.

To build yasm, download the tarball, unpack it, configure
and build, and move the resulting binary into /usr/local/bin.

Something like:
$ curl -O http://www.tortall.net/projects/yasm/releases/yasm-1.3.0.tar.gz
$ tar xf yasm-1.3.0.tar.gz
$ cd yasm...
$ ./configure && make
$ sudo cp yasm /usr/loca/bin
(I don't know where exactly the binary is after building.)

Unrelated: While I would still recommend yasm (and even more
so for old systems), the default will soon change to nasm which
is now actively maintained and current versions work on osx.

Carl Eugen