[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG QSV source compilation hangs & reboots our server

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Nov 11 16:06:00 EET 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 02:34:42 +0530, PoOVaRaSaN wrote:
> We are installing `ffmpeg` with `--enable-nonfree --enable-libmfx`
> configurations, configuration command was successfully done.Then, we
> invoking `make` and our server gets hanged in few seconds and it will gets
> rebooted automatically. We felt it might be compilation issue with `make`
> script

Without even looking at your logs: A build process should nver trigger
something like that. You should check the server's logs to see what
happened. Most likely is some out-of-memory situation. (I have seen
systems kill arbitrary processes when memory runs out. 'oom' is a good
string to search for.)

Also, please, don't ever ever _ever_ do stuff like building software as
user root! (I have reasons to believe that you are doing that.) root is
a system and administration account, not for actual "usage". I has way
too many priviledges. E.g. if some (broken) script has a line "rm -rf
$targetdir/" and forgets to set $targetdir in certain situations,
you're screwed.

Moritz