[FFmpeg-user] Getting peak bit rate info for HLS .m3u8 master playlist

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Nov 17 00:54:53 EET 2016

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 20:12:49 +0100, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > looking at?  Do/How I look at the frames?  Where do I look to get this
> > non-trivial info?  I can script it out once I know where to look.
>
> Forgive me for being unclear:
> It is so difficult that I don't know how to do it and I don't know where
> to look (but I do know that if you were able to do it you wouldn't have
> to ask).
>
> (This is not about finding the biggest frame in a stream afaik, this
> would of course be trivial.)

I found this information:

http://ramugedia.com/hls--how-determine-peak-bitrate
(which doesn't point to any source for this info).

It does look scriptable. It would be more difficult to implement for
ffmpeg, as the hls demuxer would need to keep a memory of each
segment's properties, and do the math at the end, but perhaps not
impossible.

Moritz