[FFmpeg-user] (de)-interlacing question

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Tue Nov 22 21:08:21 EET 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 06:32:47PM +0000, Andy Furniss wrote:
> SD decoders have been around a long time, I guess initially they
> couldn't handle progressive.

Right. Old decoders, not display. Makes sense.

> I was thinking more that vlc may be de-interlacing with something simple
> which looked like interpolated, but was just de-interlace.

Well, but what i am claiming is that they where interlacing progressive HD
to create interlaced SD.

> ffmpeg motion interpolaters are far from real time.

Sure. These are non-live programming.

> mpv can do real time simple interpolation via gpu/opengl.

Ok, will check that out.

> ffmpeg recently got some more interpolation code via GSOC see this thread -
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=ffmpeg-devel%40ffmpeg.org&q=subject:%22%5C%5BFFmpeg%5C-devel%5C%5D+%5C%5BGSoC%5C%5D+Motion+Interpolation%22&o=newest&f=1

Thanks.

> Horrible link/thread layout, but anyway, motion interpolation is hard.

I thought it might have gotten a lot easier through all the experience
collected with motion estimation. Aka: work in the DCT domain, interpolate
motion vectors and residual error - or something like that.

> > btw: there where reports saying that TV productions ARD/ZDF are
> p25 and only sports is actual p50. Eg:
> >
> > http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Petition-gegen-720p-HD-bei-ARD-und-ZDF-941806.html
>
> Can't read the link, but yes, a lot of low motion TV is shot at 25fps.

Google translate always give me a hilarious time.

Cheers
    Toerless