[FFmpeg-user] Developer "cehoyos" closed my bug without any explanation, and without solving it

Sven C. Dack sven.c.dack at sky.com
Tue Oct 11 03:09:57 EEST 2016

On 10/10/16 23:23, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Bug #5882; Certain x264 videos do not play on Apple decoders
> (Quicktime/iTunes/iPad)
>
> Today was closed by developer "cehoyos" without any explanation, and
> without any resolution.
> He treats all bugs like that ? Worse yet; he treats all people like bugs ?
>
> --
> -Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"

Hello,

sorry you feel this way, but looking at your bug report do you seem to have a
misunderstand regarding who is responsible for which bugs. You state that it's
Apple's decoder that cannot play the videos. And at the same time do you state
VLC does play them. VLC uses ffmpeg's libraries so it obviously works with
ffmpeg, just not with Apple's decoder. Further more do you state that the videos
were created with libx264, which if it was the source of your problem, is also
not part of ffmpeg but only an external library and has its own project. In
short, you have no case.

You first need to accept that the problem is very likely with the Apple decoder.
Just because you cannot find anyone at Apple to listen to your problem doesn't
mean you can shove it onto ffmpeg. You have also reopened the bug report several
times, which suggest a certain stubbornness in accepting these facts. You then
have to provide evidence of this being an ffmpeg bug, and you have so far only
provided evidence against it. Cehoyos's responses were also quite clear and not
unfriendly at all, because he told you how to solve your problem.

I suggest that you change your stance in this matter and stop acting like
Cehoyos would owe you an apology.

User problems are handled here on this maling list and not on the bug tracker.
Or do you disagree?