[FFmpeg-user] nvenc h264 encoding

Sven C. Dack sven.c.dack at sky.com
Thu Oct 13 14:52:03 EEST 2016

On 13/10/16 11:34, tyt xtreme wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Any idea why this encoding doesn't work?
>
> $ ffmpeg -i perspective.mp4 -c:v h264_nvenc -profile:v high444p
> -pixel_format yuv444p -preset default perspective_out.mp4

> [h264_nvenc @ 0000000001d84640] No free surfaces
> Video encoding failed
> Conversion failed!
Surfaces are a reference to the memory buffers used by the encoder. You can find
out about which surfaces your graphics card supports by opening the Nvidia
settings panel, -> "VDPAU Information", -> "Surface Limits".

If your card doesn't support the pixel format or the picture exceeds the surface
limit might this already explain why you get this error message. Although I
would expect to see a different error message...

You can also check with "nvidia-smi" which applications are currently using your
graphics card. Suspended processes, zombie processes or just multiple processes
can also exhaust the amount of available surfaces.