[FFmpeg-user] ffserver removal

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Tue Sep 13 18:51:56 EEST 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:36:39PM +0200, Michael Fritscher wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I just read the sad news about ffserver :-(
>
> The biggest problem for maintaining seems to be the usage of the internal
> APIs, right? The other stated problems seem not to hinder development of the
> other components of ffmpeg.
>
> That are the big showstoppers here? The ffserver.c has
> /* FIXME: those are internal headers, ffserver _really_ shouldn't use them
> */
>
> /* FIXME: This code should use avformat_new_stream() */
>
> Are these 2 the biggest problems hindering ffserver from staying into
> ffmpeg? Which of these headers are internal ones?

Mandatory FFserver Maintenance required AFAICT:
- FATE tests integration
- no use of internal API anymore (drop internal includes and make it work)
- move to recent APIs (some API have likely been deprecated and the drop
  prevented because of ffserver), including the recent codecpar

Then you can look into improvement such as a better design, a sane
configuration, modern IO API usage, scalability, ...

Good luck.

--
Clément B.