[FFmpeg-user] Increasing audio

William Caulfield william.caulfield at contentbridge.tv
Mon Apr 3 21:58:01 EEST 2017

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> wrote:

> I was asked to make videos during a ToastMasters contest. I had
> ordered a microphone for this, but sadly it did not arrive in time. So
> I needed to use the internal microphone from my Canon HS60 SX. Being
> away about ten meters from the speakers, their voices are much to
> soft. So I needed to pump up the audio. I did this with:
>     ffmpeg -y -i speaker.MP4 -vcodec copy -af volume=3 speakerAudioInc.MP4
>
> Is that the correct way, or is there a better way?
>

> --
> Cecil Westerhof
> Senior Software Engineer
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/cecilwesterhof

Not really an answer to your question, but speaking as an audio engineer:

The boost you want is around 2.5Khz. That's where vocals are understood.
700hz up to 3.5khz is probably a good range.
Avoid boosting below 400hz (muddy) and above 10Khz (zingy).

I guess I'm suggesting some sort of EQ before the volume increase. Not sure
how that is done in FFMPEG.

--

*William Caulfield *| *ContentBridge Systems*
Product Manager, Digital Media & Systems | www.contentbridge.tv