[FFmpeg-user] Converting 4:2:2 pro-res to 4:2:0 for AVC encoding

Pradeep Ramachandran pradeeprama at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 07:31:35 EEST 2017

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 14:21:44 +0530, Pradeep Ramachandran wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Your e-mail is very confusing (to me), it's not quite clear what you're
> trying to achieve.
>
> > Subject: [FFmpeg-user] Converting 4:2:2 pro-res to 4:2:0 for AVC encoding
> [...]
> > I would like to encode these to 10-bit 4:2:0 using x265.
>
> x265 does not encode AVC, it encodes HEVC. x264 is for AVC.

Sorry, my bad here. I meant to encode HEVC using libx265.

> > Since mov doesn't support 4:2:0
>
> It doesn't? Or it does't support yuv420p10? And if it doesn't, why are
> you using mov at all, if your target is to encode yuv420p10?

mov doesn't seem to support yuv420p10le. I am still stuck with mov as the
player that I am using to stream the input video can only stream in mov
format

> > I am not able to convert these prior to encoding. The other option
> > is to convert to 4:2:0 and pipe to x265 binary using mpeg4yuv pipe, but
> > that would mean inter-process communication between ffmpeg and x265.
>
> Why would you pipe to the binary, instead of using ffmpeg's integration
> of libx265? The only reasons I can think of is:
> - your ffmpeg isn't compiled with libx265;
> - your ffmpeg's libx265 doesn't support 10-bit video (I can only guess,
>   because mine from Zeranoe doesn't seem to).

I was wondering if I had to pipe because I want to convert from yuv422p10le
to yuv42010le on the fly, and send it on the fly to x265 (which is also
compiled with 10-bit support as it is compiled from source).

> > Is there any way that I can convert from yuv 4:2:2 10-bit to yuv 4:2:0
> > 10-bit and pass to libx265 on the fly without going through inter-process
> > communication?
>
> Normally, you would simply use:
> $ ffmpeg -i inputfile -pix_fmt yuv420p10 -c:v libx265 -c:a copy outputfile

But this isn't for a live stream, this is only for a file conversion. I am
interested in doing a live stream.