[FFmpeg-user] Splitting video not on keyframes

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 23:30:07 EEST 2017

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 12:41:45 -0700
Tim Hiles wrote:

> The resulting video's audio\video is in sync, however the start of the
> video is always off by a few seconds either ahead or behind the -ss
> timestamp.   Is there a way to fix this issue?

If you put the -ss option *after* the other options, it
completely changes behaviour, instead of using the index
info, it runs through the file from the beginning to
the exact timestamp you specify. (Which takes longer, but
allows you to pick any place you want to start at).

I do this all the time, putting -ss and -t as the last
two options on the command. I also generate a small
copy of the video with the %{pts} timestamp written on the
output file so I'll be absolutely sure I'm talking about the
same timestamps as ffmpeg :-).