[FFmpeg-user] how to encode 10bit

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Dec 7 22:54:42 EET 2017

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 20:41:01 +0000, George Nistor wrote:

> In either way it does not work.

That's not a very descriptive error. What did you try, what did you
expect, what was the actual result?

We kindly ask you to provide the actual command line and its complete,
uncut console output.

> How should be done 10 bit encoding?
> 1. By selecting -profile main10 or others like
>
> * main10, main10-intra
> * main422-10, main422-10-intra
> * main444-10, main444-10-intra
>
> or by selecting
> 2. pixel profile as yuv422 10le etc..

I guess 1. or both.

Since you didn't provide any info, I can only guess you are using x264.
Or are you using x265?

For x264, ffmpeg needs a specially compiled version of that library,
and needs to link against this version. (And then no longer supports
8-bit encoding. This whole hassle may change in the future, depending
on x264's progress on this.)

Check this thread (though I have seen better instructions, which I
can't find right now):

https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2012-June/007064.html

Cheers,
Moritz