[FFmpeg-user] Using the flags -movflags +faststart

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Feb 25 17:18:58 EET 2017

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 15:41:39 +0100, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> The '+' sign in front of the flags is not going to work? I disagree.
> ffmpeg's command line parser doesn't care whether the first flag is
> prepended with a '+' or not:

Actually, I found this comment (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23419351/ffmpeg-using-movflags-faststart#comment60936769_23440682):

  The + sign indicates that ffmpeg should set the specified value in
  addition to any values that the MOV/MP4 muxer will automatically set
  during the course of executing the command. Omitting it means ffmpeg
  will reset the flags to their default values, and only toggle the
  state of faststart. Most MP4s generation doesn't involve the other
  flags so usually it doesn't make a difference.

I couldn't find this in ffmpeg's source or docs though.

Moritz