[FFmpeg-user] Need help generating field based Program Stream

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 15:09:15 EET 2017

kumar vikram wrote:
> Hi Bouke, Thanks for your prompt response.

Please don't top post.

> For me the idea is to get field based interlaced streams to test some
> of my implementation. Maintaining frame rate is not an issue with
> me.
>
> I tried with tinterlace too but not to my luck.
>
> ffmpeg.exe -y -i INPUT -c:v mpeg2video -flags +ildct+ilme -vf
> scale=interl=1,tinterlace=interlacex2 -b:a 256k -aspect 16:9 OUTPUT

This is probably wrong, it would make field rate weaved frames where
half the lines changed each frame.

Possibly not what you mean, but mpeg2 can encode field based, but not
ffmpegs emcoder (AFAIK), nor pretty much anything found "in the wild",
by which I mean that internally, mpeg2 interlaced is normally coded as
weaved frames.

If what you want to do is get a stream of fields from weaved frames then
the separatefields (plus maybe setsar) is what to use.

If you have a stream of fields and you want to make weaved frames the
(IIRC) tinterlace=merge would be a start.