[FFmpeg-user] De-telecine, deinterlace, and filter chains

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:08:59 EET 2017

Andy Furniss wrote:

> Whatever further processing is done, I think that scaling down to 480
> is going to be the first step. I live in pal land, so don't have
> experience of dealing with ntsc.

Looking more at the sample it does seem that the progressive scale and
encode have killed every fourth source frame by partially merging its
fields with previous and next.

fieldmatch and decimate can't really recover this.

If you just needed to play this (on a 60[/1.001]Hz screen) you can make
it look "slightly less crap" on the fly with mpv + lavfi eg.

mpv -fs
--vf=lavfi=[scale=w=1920:h=480,yadif=send_field:parity=tff:deint=all]
out-short.mp4