[FFmpeg-user] Converting a cassette audio tape (Lecture) to mp3

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 21:45:04 EEST 2017

On 07/12/2015 11:35 AM, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 11:26:58 -0600, jd1008 wrote:
>> I am running fedora 20 with
> Which is EOL. I just updated to F22 myself today. :-)
>
>> I need a set of steps/commands to convert this tape.
> Is it already digitized?
>
> If so:
> $ ffmpeg -i audiofile -c:a libmp3lame audiofile.mp3
> and adjust your audio settings as you need them (channel count,
> quality, ...)
>
>> I have  plenty of audio tools installed - but not certain what
>> else I might need.
> If you need to digitize your audio tape first, you need to tell us
> about your available hardware (though this list is not really for
> that). You will probably need to check out ffmpeg's "pulse" or "alsa"
> indevs for capturing.
>
> Moritz
Hi all,
I had to resort to doing one file at a time, albeit within a script, which
does not flood ffmpeg with a huge list of files,
Rather, the filenames are read one at a time from a list of short
filenames - such as F_000  F_001 ...etc,
like so:

For F in F_[0-9]*; do
vidfilename=`cat $F`
ffmpeg ....etc....
done

This way, ffmpeg is not getting confused by a tsunami of stdin