[FFmpeg-user] Poor quality output when converting avi to mp4

Ute Willmore uwillmore at remotegeo.com
Tue Jul 25 20:48:24 EEST 2017

Gyan,

I am having trouble with mp4box and I am hoping you can help me once again.
I downloaded and installed the 32 bit and 64 bit version of GPAC but when I
try to run either one, I get errors or a file that won't play. I am running
mp4box on the cmd line using this command:

mp4box -aviraw video hdout.mp4

But the 32 bit version produces a file I cannot play with media player or
mplayer.

I repeated the command using the 64 bit version, but I get a message saying
the applicatiThis is on the 64 on started wrong and to click ok to close it.

So I looked around some and found an example for converting avi to mp4
using mp4vbox and tried it:

mp4box.exe -add hd.avi hdout.mp4

But I get:

Unfortunately, mp4box.exe had stopped working.

This was using the 64 bit version.

What am I doing wrong? I got both version from the GPAC download page here:

https://gpac.wp.imt.fr/downloads/ using the links in the first paragraph
labeled Windows 32 bits and Windows 64 bits.

When installation was done, I copied the exe files to a local driectory and
renamed on to mp4box32.exe and left the 64 bit version named mp4box.exe.
That way I know for sure which version I am running and I have all the
files in one sub-directory on my desktop where I am working using the
command prompt.

When I got the error saying mp4box stopped running, I started using the
mp4box executable in program files by using the full path to tghe
executable butIstill get the error.

Please help if you can.

Ute

Ute