[FFmpeg-user] Export raw (binary) subtitle data

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Jun 5 16:59:55 EEST 2017

On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 15:33:22 +0200, Johannes Bauer wrote:
> Subtitle word 'pie~ejpgnlekkjgijeiliojpeeeicko' too long!

Hmm, it looks like their display duration isn't defined correctly,
perhaps. (That's an mplayer message, not libav*).

> Is there a way to export the raw binary subtitle data just the way it's
> interleaved within the video to a file using ffmpeg? If so, I'd greatly
> appreciate any pointers.

I don't use it myself, but I just tried, and this gives you
*something*, by playing a copy of the subtitle stream into a file by
using the raw data muxer:

$ ffmpeg -i 06031028_0041.MOV -map 0:s -c copy -f data 06031028_0041.mov_text.dat

You would need to understand what raw mov_text looks like, in order to
build your own parser. ;-)

Alas, the timestamps also get lost - they're not partof the payload.
You may need to parse them out differently (e.g. from ffprobe or from
the SRT conversion).

HTH,
Moritz