[FFmpeg-user] Increase DVCPRO50 encoding quality possible?

Christoph Gerstbauer christophgerstbauer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 14:36:55 EEST 2017

Hello everyone,

I am testing the DVCPRO encoder of ffmpeg and comparing it with other
tools in terms of picture quality.

I mentioned that the picture quality of an ffmpeg dvcpro50 encoding is a
little bit less than a dvcpro50 encoding from a carbon coder.
In numbers I can say:

Original Source Quality = 100 %
Carbon Coder Quality = 95%
FFmpeg Quality = 90%

Regarding encoding speed ffmpeg dvcpro50 encoder wins:
720x576 RAW source to DVCPRO50:
ffmpeg: 10x faster than realtime
carbon coder: 3x  faster than Realtime

The FFmpeg sample has more visible blocking artefacts and mosquito noise
(can only be seen in zoom mode 400% or more).
You can see it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lj4lq1kfr8f5c1i/ffmpegusers_dvcpro50.zip?dl=0
I encoded a part of a animation movie to dvcpro50. At smooth color
gradients you can see the differences.
Stronger mosquito noise and more blocks in the leafs.

My used syntax:
ffmpeg -i inputfile -vcodec dvvideo -pix_fmt yuv422p outpufile.mxf

My question:
Is there any syntax option which I can use to increase the DVCPRO50
encoding quality a little bit?

Best Regards

Christoph Gerstbauer