[FFmpeg-user] Optimizing CPU Utilization

Mike Versteeg mike at mikeversteeg.com
Tue Mar 21 12:24:45 EET 2017

ankit.gupta wrote
> that starts one instance of FFMpeg with
> above command. Its taking a lot of memory and CPU resources? Any thoughts
> on how to optimize it?

Do you really want to optimise, or do you mean you want to throttle CPU
usage? I'm not aware this is possible, but I do think you can use the
threads option to tie a process to just one CPU core. On a multi-core PC
this would effectively throttle the process and leave resources available to
other threads.