[FFmpeg-user] ffplay on current build does not play mkv file but on old build does.

Tim Hiles thiles at confex.com
Tue Mar 28 11:33:15 EEST 2017

Hi All!

I'm revisiting this issue because I've finally had time to narrow down the
exact release where this issue first arose from so that perhaps someone who
understands the code could maybe figure out what may have happened.

>From this page: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/

Scroll down to here:

      ffmpeg-20160926-64545dd-win32-static.zip
<https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-20160926-64545dd-win32-static.zip>
   26-Sep-2016 23:10   41M
      ffmpeg-20160926-69449da-win32-static.zip
<https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-20160926-69449da-win32-static.zip>
   26-Sep-2016 19:09   27M
      ffmpeg-20160924-267da70-win32-static.zip
<https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-20160924-267da70-win32-static.zip>
   24-Sep-2016 22:09   27M
      ffmpeg-20160924-1212e34-win32-static.zip
<https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-20160924-1212e34-win32-static.zip>
   23-Sep-2016 22:11   41M

note: keep in mind that the list of releases above is in descending
chronological order (newest at the top, oldest at the bottom) exactly as it
is on the zeranoe webpage.

Starting from the old release going up here is what I've discovered..
1. September 23 2016 at 22:11 is the last version that plays video in the
mkv file.
2. September 24 2016 and September 26 2016 you'll notice that the zip
folder size drops down to 27 M. That's because if you download those two
zip folders you'll see that ffplay.exe was not included.
3. Then September 26, 2016 (later that evening) it goes back up to 41M
because it includes ffplay.  From that point on, ffplay no longer plays
mkv's for me, only audio.

So, I'm unsure what happened at that time but that if any developers want
to look into this, this is where I would start my investigation.

Thanks for any help!

Tim