[FFmpeg-user] wmv3+wma2.mov: Failed to open codec / Unable to parse option value "(null)" as sample format

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu May 4 17:22:05 EEST 2017

On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 10:58:47 +1000, ffmpeg at zoot.org wrote:
>   [wmav2 @ 0x7fdbeb01cc00] block_align is not set
>   [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7fdbeb001200] Failed to open codec in av_find_stream_info
>   [wmav2 @ 0x7fdbeb01cc00] block_align is not set

Either the codec is misidentified (or mistagged in the MOV file), or
ffmpeg doesn't like the combination wma+mov.

>   [abuffer @ 0x7fdbea5006c0] Unable to parse option value "(null)" as sample format

Perhaps it would help to indicate to ffmpeg the input sample format
(but I'm only guessing).

Do you have a file sample you can share?

> Any idea what this is trying to tell me?
> Is there something wrong with the file?

Perhaps.

> Or with the ffmpeg installation?

Unlikely.

> Or the command? Or something else?

No, under normal circumstances, your command is fine.

Have you tried:
$ ffmpeg -i in.mov -c copy out.wmv
?

Moritz.