[FFmpeg-user] rip subtitle to sub file

Bernd Butscheidt bbutscheidt at yahoo.de
Wed May 10 01:32:01 EEST 2017

________________________________
From: Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net>
To: FFmpeg user discussions <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2017 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-user] rip subtitle to sub file

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 02:23:17 +0000, txunum _ wrote:
> I'm trying to rip the English subtitles to a single sub file, but it does not work. Here it is my command:
> ffmpeg -analyzeduration 1000000k -probesize 1000000k -i ..\output.vob -c:s copy -map 0:6  ..\english.sub

The ".sub" suffix is mapped to the MicroDVD subtitle format. The format
you are looking for is (likely) the VobSub format.

But ffmpeg can't actually extract to that (yet):
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2391

ffmpeg can (probably) embed your extracted subtitle stream into another
VOB file, but I haven't tried, and I don't know whether that's of any
use to you.

Moritz

What I did in a similar case was to output the VobSub-Stream to a mkv-file using ffmpeg - it contains only the subtitle and nothing else. Then I use mkvextract from

https://mkvtoolnix.download

to extract the subttiles to a file pair of sub/idx.

Bernd