[FFmpeg-user] mapping formats to file extensions and MIME types

Ofer Nave odigity at gmail.com
Sat May 20 02:51:41 EEST 2017

I tried posting this to StackOverflow, but haven't gotten any responses yet:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/44035411/how-to-map-ffmpeg-formats-to-mime-types-and-file-extensions

I'll copy the question here for convenience:

Anyone know of a reference for mapping ffmpeg format values to MIME types
and recommended file extension? My google attempt failed to turn up
anything.

I did manually put together a small list with guess-work and clues from
Wikipedia, IANA
<https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml#video>, and
the Mozilla Developer Network
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Basics_of_HTTP/MIME_types/Complete_list_of_MIME_types>
for
the subset of formats that I encountered in my video input test collection:

ffmpeg Format             Extension  MIME Type
───────────────────────   ─────────  ──────────────────────
asf                       asf        application/vnd.ms-asf
avi                       avi        video/x-msvideo
flv                       flv        video/x-flv
matroska,webm             webm       video/webm
m4v                       m4v        video/x-m4v
mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2   mp4        video/mp4
mpeg                      mpeg       video/mpeg
mpegts                    mpeg       video/mpeg
mpegvideo                 mpeg       video/mpeg
ogg                       ogv        video/ogg
matroska                  mkv        video/x-matroska
webm                      webm       video/webm

No idea if I've made the right calls, though.

(The test files already have file extensions, but I'm operating on the
assumption that the extension of a file a user uploads is irrelevant, and
that the file should be renamed based on ffprobe and intelligent mapping...)

-ofer