[FFmpeg-user] id3 tags not really removed?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue May 30 10:34:07 EEST 2017

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 18:37:31 -0400, Ron Sparks wrote:
> > ... I also tried to remove all the tags with:
> >   $ ffmpeg -i input.mp3 -map 0:a -map_metadata -1 -c copy out.mp3
> > and then put them again, but the problem remains...
>
> I suspect the problem might be that ffmpeg works with the id3v2 tags,
> while your mp3 reader works with the id3v1 tags.

I had the same thought, but why would ffmpeg, when remuxing, re-insert
the original id3v1 tags? Perhaps they're considered part of the stream,
*then* they would survive "-c:a copy".

You may want to try adding "-write_id3v1 1", as hinted in the docs:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-formats.html#mp3

In both cases, that should either drop the metadata or insert both
versions. (I didn't manage to test, because I don't have any tools at
hand which expose both/all types of tags in MP3 files. exiftool should
manage.)

Other suggestion (never confirmed):
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2011-June/001365.html

Actually, there are so many forms of tags (incl. EXIF), metadata, and
so on, that other tools may be much more suitable for such operations.

Cheers,
Moritz

P.S.: I found "-map_metadata -1" on lists and superuser.com, but
      neither in the docs nor the wiki. Hmmm.