[FFmpeg-user] Can I repair with ffmpeg a mp4 file where the moov atom is not found ?

Steve Boyer steveboyer85 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 00:37:02 EET 2017

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I want to know if it's possible to repair or to convert a mp4 file
> > where the moov atom is not found ?
>
> In rare cases, you can do this manually (if you have a similar
> file), in other (even more rare) cases, mov files do not have
> a moov atom, FFmpeg will not be helpful though.

Yes, it is possible. The linux program is untrunc, and you might have to
compile it yourself. http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/~ponchio/untrunc.php.
Essentially, it reconstructs it the best it can using the information to go
by off of another MP4 file - it works best if you have a working MP4 file
from the same system/settings.