[FFmpeg-user] Latest GIT version doesn't compile with libvpx_vp9 encoder

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Oct 15 23:26:42 EEST 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 21:40:31 +0200, ZikZak wrote:
> And result of the make:
>
> AR      libavdevice/libavdevice.a
> AR      libavfilter/libavfilter.a
> AR      libavformat/libavformat.a
> AR      libpostproc/libpostproc.a
> AR      libswresample/libswresample.a
> AR      libavutil/libavutil.a
> AR      libswscale/libswscale.a
> AR      libavcodec/libavcodec.a
> LD      ffmpeg_g
> libavcodec/libavcodec.a(libvpxdec.o): In function `vpx_init':
> /root/GIT/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libvpxdec.c:57: undefined reference to
> `vpx_codec_vp8_dx_algo'
> /root/GIT/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libvpxdec.c:57: undefined reference to
> `vpx_codec_vp8_dx_algo'
> libavcodec/libavcodec.a(libvpxenc.o): In function `vp8_init':
> /root/GIT/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libvpxenc.c:1180: undefined reference to
> `vpx_codec_vp8_cx'
> Makefile:107: recipe for target 'ffmpeg_g' failed
> make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1
>
> Although libvpx_vp8 was the only encoder accepted by configure.

Did compiling the libvpx code give warnings about
vpx_codec_vp8_dx_algo? (This is the linker not finding that symbol.) A
quick check in the libvpx repo tells me that symbol should still exist.
Perhaps your compile of libvpx went terribly wrong (which could explain
the missing of vp9).

To repeat only the build of libvpx support (and in order to see the
warnings again), do
$ rm -fv libavcodec/*vpx*.[do]
$ make

Moritz