[FFmpeg-user] Question about using ffmpeg to convert a sequence of images to video

Victor Carneiro Fardim victorcarneiro at protonmail.com
Wed Apr 4 21:44:31 EEST 2018

Hi, Chen Yang.

I see you are using good encoder settings to minimize encoding latency.

In this case, I'd try messing around with the VBV buffer (`-bufsize`). Try setting `-bufsize` very low, for instance, 128k. This will, however, result in a (significantly) reduced quality due to the bitrate not being able to fluctuate too much to compensate for changes in image complexity - essentially resulting in a mostly constant bitrate. You can play around with the

If you are streaming live video, you may also want to lower the GOP length, to reduce the initial buffering delay. Note that this will also greatly affect quality, so use it with care.

You may also try other container formats, since muxing also introduces varying degrees of latency.

Good encodes,

Victor Carneiro