[FFmpeg-user] Unable to build FFmpeg 4.0 on macOS

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 17:31:38 EEST 2018

> I had a similar problem some time ago, but this time it is different. I
> have installed all dependencies using MacPorts, System is macOS 10.13. I
> can build FFmpeg 3.4.2 without any problem. But if I try to build FFmpeg
> 4.0 or the latest version from github, it can not find any dependencies:
>
> ERROR: libsoxr not found (and similar)

Where is libsoxr.a installed?

> ./configure --pkg-config-flags=--static

> --enable-avisynth

Just curious: Does this work?

> --enable-fontconfig --enable-gpl --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype
> --enable-libmodplug --enable-libsmbclient --enable-libopus --enable-libsoxr
> --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack
> --disable-ffplay --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-version3
> --enable-libfribidi

> --enable-coreimage --enable-videotoolbox

If one of them is needed, it would be bug that we would like to know about.
(Are they needed?)

> --enable-swscale --enable-avfilter --enable-postproc

These have no effect and are misleading, please remove them.

> --enable-avresample

You shouldn't need this, if you really use it, note that it will be
removed.

> --enable-x86asm

I don't know who had the idea to add this, please remove it,
it has no effect.

> --enable-nonfree --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-librtmp --enable-opencl --enable-libcdio
> --enable-libssh --enable-openssl

> --enable-pic

Why is this needed?
(I see it often: If it has an effect, it makes the binary slower, so
I wonder why people add it.)

> --extra-cflags='-fstack-protector-strong -march=native -mtune=native -fvectorize
> -ffast-math -fslp-vectorize -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -mfpmath=sse'
> --extra-cxxflags='-fstack-protector-strong -march=native -mtune=native -fvectorize
> -ffast-math -fslp-vectorize -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -mfpmath=sse'
> --extra-ldflags='-fstack-protector-strong -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'

While this is most likely not related to your issue, please understand
that using extra-flags excessively makes support request (and bug
reports) invalid. If you feel that our configure script is missing
features, please tell us!
(In addition, I am curious about your FFmpeg performance tests
with and without "mpfmath" etc.)

Carl Eugen