[FFmpeg-user] Unable to build FFmpeg 4.0 on macOS

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Apr 29 19:06:56 EEST 2018

Am 29.04.2018 um 17:58 schrieb Paul B Mahol:

>>> Why is this needed?
>>> (I see it often: If it has an effect, it makes the binary slower, so
>>> I wonder why people add it.)
>>
>> because other than you people care about security and not only
>> performance - learn about system hardening - and yes given the tons of
>> errors and voodoo in *all* multimedia codecs it's recommended
>
> Which errors and voodoo?
> Can you point them?
please don't play fool - thank you!

you have hunrdets of critical bugs in *every* multimedia library over
the past years and hardening binaries is for make *currently unknown*
vulernabilities more difficult to trigger

if one don't have the slightest clue about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_hardening he better should not
recommend remove options like "--enable-pic" which should be *default*
until someone decides sacrifice security by performance